Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Gethenians Who?

Genly Ai,  throughout the book struggles a lot to understand Gethenians and who or what they are. Honestly , I feel somewhat connected to Genly Ai because he's trying to understand these people and how they "work" you could say and while I'm reading the book I feel the same way. Like throughout the book he refers the king as he or him, but Gethenians don't stay the same gender. They don't have a perminante sex and that confuses Genly Ai because they see him as a pervert for what he sees as completely normal. On page 18-21 while Genly is speaking to Estraven , he struggles to read Estravens expressions and fails to see whether or not what he was saying was true or even had double meanings to them. As I'm reading the book I've noticed a lot how Gethenians don't really show emotion. Its weird because Genly Ai can misinterpret something a gethenian says.

2 comments:

  1. I felt somewhat connected to Genly too, I think that Genly's misperception of how to see the Gethenians is weird for him since he's used to knowing others as male or females and as far as the Gethenians go, they don't know what to think of Genly since he is considered male the whole time and it's a different world for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! It Is difficult for Genly to try and understand the Gethenians because he isn't familiar with these ways nor are we. They aren't categorized by gender and honestly tagged something our reality should seek to viewing as well.

    ReplyDelete