Friday, January 22, 2016

How the myths tie into the story

In the book The Left Hand of Darkness the author Ursula K. Le Guin each chapter is different one chapter would be the perspective of Genly who i assume is visiting the planet Winter. Then in the next chapter it would be a myth. When you are finally getting to the end of the book then you can see how myths tie into the story. Each myth has a meaning for the book the author did not just add myths to make her book more interesting. I would have to say that my favorite myth was Estraven the traitor. I really understood how the nickname and his family history. The author wants you to understand how you can see Estraven as a character. When i first read this story i had so many questions but now with every chapter the author seems to  be answering my questions. She gives little hints in the myths and i can finally have some of questions answered. This book may be confusing but i can't wait to get to the end.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's true how the stories confusing and hard to understand at first, sometimes I nod off or fall asleep. Then comes the later chapters which explains bits and pieces that connect the puzzle together which to me makes the story enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The myths and legends are confusing at first but I agree that they add to the storyline by telling us a little bit about the Gethenian culture. The multi-genre aspect of the novel makes the book more interesting to read because it gives us variation. I agree at first it is confusing, but as the book unfolds it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading the myths throughout the book. I think they're all very interesting and I see how they tie into the book overall. My favorite myth is the one that's similar to Romeo and Juliet where the rivals kemmer and promise peace.

    ReplyDelete