Friday, November 20, 2015

Dealing With Trolls

When I the word trolling comes to mind I think of someone with an ugly personality and always mean for no reason. My understanding of an "internet troll" is a person who does or says things to get negative reactions out of people. They say outrageous things that they probably wouldn't even say in real life. Also I think they do these things for attention.
When it comes to dealing with trolls there isn't any right way. Everyone handles things in different ways. The most common advice we receive is to "ignore them," or "don't feed I to them." This isn't wrong but it doesn't work in every situation. While on Twitter, I see all types of trolling; from people who aren't causing any harm to those who aim to hurt. Most of the time I see trolls when it come it comes to racial issues. For people dealing with those trolls I can tell that it's really hard to ignore them because most of their opinions are based of of ignorant facts.
For situations like this, I would recommend people to think of the situation from a different perspective. Behind everything there is a motive and we have to think of every possible reason.  I know we all have our issues and that doesn't give them a pass to act the way they do, but we should put it into consideration. Just from my own experiences I've noticed that most people who we find annoying, mean, or just unlikable have greater problems than we can see. When they decided to troll, it could be that whatever you had posted could've sparked up all types of emotions and anger. They might have strongly disagreed with the post, but what fused them to express it they way they did probably had nothing to do with the post at all. In this situation giving a person the benefit of the doubt can help you ignore them. So for the next time you are having a hard time ignoring a troll or two, think of this and it should help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment