Sunday, April 3, 2016

During this unit I learned more about food than I thought. I feel more aware of the issues that are in our food system. Even though I'm still going to eat the same way I was, I feel better informed. Every time I'm at the store I tell my mom about GMOs like some nature loving nerd. But I think its interesting how much I've learned by just reading the articles in class. The different videos that were shown also helped me learn a lot. Its really unusual for me to enjoy things like this but I even liked researching my topic. I was curious about the production of these different foods.
While writing this paper I made it a point to try and envision each issue in my everyday life. Relating it to my everyday life made it much easier. Since I've never written a paper this long I made sure to take it one paragraph at a time. I explained the issue only using sources that interested me. This paper however, has been the hardest for me to write. I think it's because I was allowed to pick my own topic and make it as broad or specific as I wanted.

4 comments:

  1. it is true that throughout this unit we have a better understanding of what we consume in our bodies and like you said although we ae better informed some of us still haven't made much of a difference in their diets. you are right, finding what we have to research did take me a while to write because of various questions out there about food politics and simple trying to be specific in your question took time to accumulate because you're trying not to make it a broad question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the being more aware of the issues going on in our food system. I also still continue to eat the way I was before, but being informed is even better. The video's helped me understand more about what was happening because I got to actually see it with my own eyes, and I wasn't just told what was happening. I still think its unfair how the animals get treated before they are killed and we eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way, Jess! My eating habits haven't changed, but now I understand what I'm eating instead of turning a blind eye to it. Because food is something that we all relate to, it has encouraged me to do this paper, opposed to writing an entire research paper on a topic I have no interest in. The only aspect of this paper that I found difficult was surprising the freedom. Typically students hate being told what to write about, but I found the freedom of being able to chose my own research question very challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also learned that there is so much more to food then when thought. I totally agree with this unit teaching us that the freedom of our writing process is not as easy as what we are used to. Food politics is such a broad subject and trying to narrow down to a specific topic was difficult for me.

    ReplyDelete