Monday, April 4, 2016

vegatarianism

My perspective of food has changed drastically in many ways since we started this food research project. I believe that it changed so much because I chose to research the conditions for the animals and the workers in the slaughter houses. At the beginning of this research paper I never really thought about how our food got to where it is or what it went through to get there. I would just eat it without any thoughts because without this further knowledge I did not know any better. Therefore, when we first started watching Food Inc., I did not think it would have much of an impact on me because I never really understood the harsh reality of it all. After watching the movie my main thought was to further research the conditions of the animals and the workers. To my surprise it just seemed to get worse and worse because I assumed that maybe Food Inc. was just making it seem worse than what it really was, but it was clearly showing the reality. Therefore, it got me thinking about becoming a vegetarian. I have always kind of wanted to become one, but now I actually have a reason to and I have been one for about two weeks now and plan to continue. This assignment has made more of an impact than I ever thought it could have because it has actually changed my mind on a huge part of my life for the better.

3 comments:

  1. Its been an eye opening experience for me too. I felt the same way when it came to eating food, and after this whole process of learning about how bad it is for our bodies its actually kind of scary. We just go through life not caring how our animals are being raised and how they put GMOs in the plants, I think that people should definitely research about this so that we can start living healthier lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the points you brought up about the mistreatment of animals. Seeing animals suffer was the hardest thing for me to watch in Food, Inc.. Vegetarianism is another hot button issue we haven't discussed much in class, but it relates to our overall topic. Even for those of us who eat meat, I think it's still a good idea to eat meat responsibly. There's a difference between eating an animal that lived a safe, carefree, life in its natural habitat and eating an animal born and raised in a feedlot. Great post Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's mind blowing how an assignment can change your lifestyle now. It is clear that you have justified reasons for your diet. I know some people who are just vegetarian because they believe in animal rights, but ironically they didn't do any research into the topic. Another lifestyle veganism doesn't believe in the use of any animal products such as cows milk for cereal and leather for clothing. My brother is vegan and living with him has taught me a lot about the ethics and morality behind domesticating animals and using them for our benefit. If you want to look into this side, there's a lot of videos on YouTube about veganism and stuff. What's your favorite restaurant or place that serves vegetarian meals?

    ReplyDelete