Tuesday, April 5, 2016

My Grocery List

This unit about food and politics has opened my eyes to a lot of things.
1. Production. The way our country produces food is frightening - frightening in the sense that if we continue down this path of mass production it will ultimately lead to a path of mass destruction. We are quickly destroying our environment by allowing big corporations to abuse the land. When all the fish in the seas disappear, when there's no more clean water to drink, and when we discover that soil is no longer habitable for seeds, that is when we will see that we can't eat money.
2. Government. Our government encourages everyone to stay in shape and be healthy. The first lady's "Let's Move" program encourages young kids to live a heathy lifestyle by eating the right types of food. However our government subsidizes crops like corn which is a cheap way to get sugars. Sure our government is promoting a healthy lifestyle, but what they have neglected is our health - by which the foods available to us and the process in which those foods are made.
3. Labeling. Whatever is on a products nutrition label says a lot about the product. Before I would get distracted by a product marketing itself as "zero-calorie" or "hormone-free" or "gluten-free". But after doing some research on how to properly read labels I can say I'm more cautious of what products I purchase at the store. I now know that matodextrin is sugar with glucose and "gluten free" has nothing to do with your glutes.
4. Distribution. America produces enough food to feed the world; but why do we still see world hunger as an issue? It all comes down to the uneven distribution of food and resources; the bottom line is America has a lot of resources and third world countries don't fair too much. Whenever I see fast food toss food out, I feel bad because I know there are people starving out there.
5. Junk Food. Prepackaged food like a bag of chips and a can of soda are convenient since they are easy to carry, however they can cause some serious health problems. Our nation is plagued by obesity. I now keep in mind the consequences before I buy chips from the black market at school. I also try to cook and prepare food at home more often. By doing this I'm actively participating in my eating process.

No comments:

Post a Comment