Monday, October 19, 2015

Little Man, Big Responsibilities

Little Man, Big Responsibility 

I often feel like the weight of the world rests on my shoulders. I find myself feeling like I'm drowning in stress and responsibilities. I'm only 17 years-old, and I feel like there are adults that couldn't handle or deal with some of the big responsibilities that I am given.
Now, I know this sounds pretty negative, but please don't get me wrong. I'm simply stating how it feels sometimes to have too much on my plate. However, there are two things that make it easy to manage the stress that comes from responsibility. With these two tools, it makes all this responsibility manageable. Not lesser, but manageable.
1. You need to understand one of my biggest responsibilities; I am captain of the football team, and, believe it or not, this is a huge responsibility. Not only am I  given the biggest title on the team, but I am expected to be one of the best players. The guy that sets an example for the rest of the team and doesn't give anything less than his best effort. Also, I am the voice of the football team, and I am held to a certain standard by the staff and faculty at Mayfair. It's a lot of pressure, and sometimes it may seem hard to manage. How do I deal with this huge responsibility? Well, I flash back to my freshman year. I remember the captains we had then, and how much I looked up to them. They were the foundation of Mayfair football and they've influenced me and made me the player I am today. So, I owe it to them for shaping my game, but I also need to realize that this captain position has been my goal since I was a freshman. Ever since I saw these captains leading the way for our team, I knew right then and there that I had to be a captain by my senior year. This is the responsibility I asked for, and I need to appreciate the fact that I was chosen to be a captain.
2. I know as a senior, we all have our own responsibilities to handle. In fact, I don't know one senior without a single responsibility. (If you are that one, I apologize for leaving you out, and God bless the luck you have) We all are transitioning into the adult world and we're gaining new responsibilities through this transition.
Now, even though this is factual, you may be wondering how this helps me manage my big responsibilities. Well, this helps me realize that I'm not alone. Knowing that my peers deal with the same trials and stress from big responsibilities brings me solice. Knowing that the senior sitting next to me in class is dealing with just as much as I am makes me feel like I'm not alone; and I think that senior may even agree with me. After all, the miserable love company. In other words, the misery that responsibility brings us only makes us want to know that we aren't alone in our misery.
So, I hope you understand that I have a lot of responsibility, but this is the life I asked for and it all comes with the territory. (By territory, I mean being a senior and captain of the football team)
Thank you for reading. Sincerely,

Joe Emmsley :)

2 comments:

  1. OMG Joe!! I feel the same way. Like you had to be an adult before a you can even become a teenage. I know how you feel bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Joe, I especially loved how you explained how you've made your responsibilities "not lesser, but manageable". For me, I often wish I had a magic wand to poof away my problems. But like you said, that's not really possible. We've got to work with what we've been given and decide how we will react to stress and long days. I also liked how your emphasized the similarities of our senior class, and how we're not alone! It's a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete