Monday, October 19, 2015

"This is [Great]"

When I had read the commencement speech, This Is Water", I was blown away to hear a very similar view on society from the author, David Foster Wallace. The bulk of our society does not think of the group that they are one with, they only seem to think of themselves at an individual level. I have seen people who think this way, whether purposely or absentmindedly, and forget the rest of the world, even though they know that they are not apart from said group, subconsciously, they know are a part of this conglomerate of people that live very differently than them, yet they live to accomplish the same goals, to succeed. This oneness will always let us drift from one another, because not one person can be, "the center of the world".

The thought of someone else's position, is bizarre to some until they come to empathize with those who they had thought horribly of. A person can live within their own little worlds, their small, insignificant minds, where the thought of anybody is absent until it is brought in through the doors of their mind; whether it has happened or will happen is completely dependent on the observers choice of whether to acknowledge it or not, more times than not, the observer will. When an observer does not, they are know as selfish, which is when a person is concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure. Yet, there are those who take it a step further then this however.

Sadly, I've encountered people, online and in the physical world, who aren't the run of the mill, normal, selfish, I've spent years, if not, the majority of my life around narcissists. These types of people have been extremely abhorred, tempting my family with torturous acts of sadism, just to see my father or mother fail, to view me looking at my father break down, and my mother stressed to the point where see has had to go the hospital a numerous amount of times. These terrible people have been family, "friends", and acquaintances alike; I could never exact justice upon these people, for they had not broken some law or stalked my immediate family, they just found ways to always tempt them with the means of having it done upon retaliation. If my mother or father would respond with a threat of calling the authorities, they would immediately try their damnedest to abuse my family behind a screen, a keyboard, and a mouse.

Terrible people exist within in this world; they will do anything to gain what they want, regardless the position of the other person. There is a point to where you should acknowledge somebody else's position and when you should not acknowledge someone else's position. It's your choice to set where that fine line should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment