Monday, October 19, 2015

To the Future

     Over the weekend, I sent out my first college application. I didn't see fireworks going off or confetti fall from the ceiling, like I imagined as I clicked "submit".  My mom asked me how I felt after I submitted it and I didn't have an answer. Everyone says this is supposed to be such an exciting time in your life. New possibilities and new roads for all of us. However, I'm not sure I feel as excited as everyone says I should. Right now, I'm nervous. I'm nervous about getting my SAT score back and I'm nervous about which colleges I'll get an acceptance letter from.I'm hoping the exciting feeling will come around 2nd semester when I have more of the future figured out. There is so much pressure of even applying to the right college. Am I applying to a school that has a good program for what I want to major in? Do I even know what I want to major in? What interests me now at 17, might not interest me by the time I finished my general education degree. Everyone is talking about personal statements and I don't have one because I'm applying to CSU schools, but the application process is different for everyone. Don't feel pressured to apply to a UC school because everyone else is and you don't have to apply to an out of state school just because your best friend wants to go away to college. I feel like everyone is judgmental when you tell them where you're applying. College is a huge decision and the choice should be made solely off what is in your best interest.  

      I remember hearing my older cousins talk about applying to college, and now it's my turn. I remember elementary school so vividly, when did I become old enough to apply to college?! As I typed in every grade I have received since freshman year, I felt proud of myself and hoped it would be enough to earn an acceptance letter. Right now, I'm stressed, but I know after the last application is submitted it will be worth it in the end. To everyone feeling this same stress, keep pushing! For now I'm just taking preparation for the future one day at a time and still enjoying my senior year. Good luck to everyone on their college applications and cheers to the future, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment