Thursday, December 3, 2015

Anonymity

I used to have such a bad image of the concept of anonymity, a bad and harmful thing. Articles that stand out there are more about the negative sides to hiding who you are. Lately, I have been seeing these articles showing the good side to hiding your identity and it was really worth a read.  I have figured out that if you do hide who you are, it allows people to only focus on the subject you can be having a discussion on.  Many times we argue and start to point out irrelevant things because we run out of things to say and just start to get mean.  We can never stop people from being rude or mean but we can stop them from them attacking who we are as a person on looks or our background by having that hidden from others. It can help put our opinions out there in consideration to start some discussion. Here in the United States we have so much freedom to do whatever we want we normally take that for granted. If we were in a country where that wasn't allowed but you'd want to talk about it, anonymity would be essential in that sense because you wouldn't want anyone coming after you. This past week has changed the way I look at being anonymous online, it's all about how people use it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Michelle! You're totally right! Okay so I had the same opinion as you did on anonymity because I thought it was just a bad thing. Now after reading what you wrote I realize that there can be some upsides to keeping anonymous. I actually never thought about it that way.

    ReplyDelete