Friday, December 11, 2015

The Abomination Known As Trolling

As a class, we have discussed the issue of trolling and the very negative impact it has on its receivers and believe me, I would not blame somebody for leaving social media over it. There is one thing that Zelda Williams, the daughter of famous comedian and actor Robin Williams, and I have in common, we were trolled to the point of leaving a form of social media. Williams had to deal with horrible things being sent to her, doctored photographs of her late father showing him beaten and bloody were just the tip of the iceberg for her; these trolls would attach comments such as crude joke, or very off-color language such as what tweeter King of Savage Lake had expressed that, "Look at what he [had] done to himself because of you, you fucking heartless bitch' and what tweeter Goose had also asserted that, "[you are] such a selfish piece of shit. He raised a whore I may add. Get cancer." These kinds of people thrive off of the quick witted reactions from other trolls and gladly fester on your page until you feel the need to leave the social media site. I was at that same end of the trolling beat stick, it has taken me a while to admit this because the issue itself was very personal on the matter that I had legitimately felt threatened. At one time, I had a Twitter account and I had posted and retweeted everything from music, political beliefs, to human's rights issues that we face on a daily basis. However, one day, when I was scrolling through my messages, I had saw something peculiar. Somebody had sent me a message, yet I didn't know who they were, so I opened the message and was startled to see what it contained. This was no ordinary message, it was a death threat, apparently something that I had posted had offended somebody who didn't share my beliefs; these people went onto to sending me my address, which if you wouldn't have guessed, I was frightened. My parents got wind of this as they saw me pacing around my room for hours on end, so I showed them the messages and right after that, I was directed to leaving Twitter because the threat of dying over my beliefs was outweighed by my parent's and my fear to live on. This is the main reason why I'm so passionate about the issue itself, because it had actually occurred to me, yet I was such a small voice on the internet and assuming my reach was so small, I could very well imagine this could happen to anyone across the wide-web.

No comments:

Post a Comment