Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Animals Have the Right to Live

For my research project, my attention was drawn on the animals involved in the process of making food. My essential question is submitted but I am still putting the final touches. My main concern is about how animals get treated during the food process and whether or not it is possible for these animals to go extinct if we continue to kill them for food. I remember as a kid, I would always ask everyone, "Can pigs and cows and chickens go extinct if we keep eating them?" In our ERWC class, we have tackled tons of information about the recent food politics. One thing that stunned me was the way the animals are raised and the chemicals and medication they are inserted with to create mass production. I  personally dislike the idea about giving the animals no reason to live but to be food. They deserve to at least see daylight without having to worry about being slaughtered or watching their fellow species die before their eyes. It's torture having to watch your best friend or mother get hurt and I can't imagine how it would be waiting next in line to add onto the pool of blood and rough, careless hands of the workers. Obviously, I think it's unfair the animals have to go through this and I wished they at least had a better life before being slaughtered. However with recent research on my annotated bibliography, two statements included, "humans are more important than animals," and "animals don't know what's happening to them when they are raised and slaughtered." With this project I hope to answer my question and further discover unknown facts about the production of food today.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like an interesting and complex research question. It's true that the food industry treats animals terribly, as we saw in Food Ink. It's sad to think of the kind of suffering animals endure, as well as the suffering of factory workers who have to either enforce who watch animal cruelty.

    Also, the mistreatment of animals can lead to other problems. For example, cattle kept in crowed feedlots are fed corn instead of the usual grass, are forced to wade through E. coli ripe manure, and generally live unhappy lives. The result? Our beef is infested with E. coli and has to be treated with ammonia before being sold on the market. Other similar examples of abuse are abundant in the food industry. There seems to be a direct link between animal health and human health, so hopefully, with changes to our current food system, we can safeguard our health while also ensuring that animals can live safe, healthy lives.

    ReplyDelete