Thursday, March 31, 2016

Good Eats

This unit has been extremely eye opening. Before this unit I had seen videos of slaughter houses and some processes of how our food is produced. However, when we watched Food Inc. my perspective of food changed. I had no idea of the different methods of producing food. To be completely honest, I did not know cows were fed anything besides grass. Learning about how cows' consumption of corn can affect us so greatly was very surprising. When I used to go out to eat and see "grass-fed beef" as a description in the burger section of a menu, I used to wonder why that detail was included. Yesterday, I went out to eat and saw that same specific detail. Although, this time I had a new understanding of what it meant.

Food is a very uniting thing. Over this break some of my family has been over to my house, including my cousin and his wife who is a registered dietitian. They are very healthy individuals; but, they do allow themselves to be a little extravagant every once in a while. I've always wondered why they put so much effort into purchasing the right foods, checking nutrition labels, and cutting certain foods out of their diet. After this unit, I now understand why they take such measures. They're very healthy eaters and are aware of the consequences of eating the right and wrong things. My parents are always trying to stray me away from fast food and introduce me to new "deliciousness" such as vegetables, soups, salads, and much more. Their advice to eat better used to go in one ear and out the other but now I understand why they try to get me to make better food choices.

My dad has a garden full of fresh herbs, vegetables, and sometimes I grow some fruit here and there. He tried to get me involved in helping him garden when I was very young but as I grew older I slowly deviated from that practice. I never truly understood what the point of growing your own food was besides the fact it saves some money here and there. Now, I see that it has many more perks besides decreasing the amount of spending one does. It results in freshness and having the control over what you are eating. Plus, it can unite people (like my dad and I) if individuals grow food together! I love food and although I can't promise I'm going to completely eat healthy after this unit, I definitely have a new awareness of what I consume that I didn't have before.

8 comments:

  1. That's pretty legit. It's certain that food can bring unity throughout groups of people. And that's good that you now know what you're eating. Like we might say, "Oh let's eat some steak!" But now you "actually" know what you're eating. The meat packaging and the movie Food Inc. opened many of our eyes to what we eat and digest. Good Job.
    -Robin Hwang
    P.5

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating is definitely part of our social culture. When we meet up with our friends, or go on dates, we always go out to eat. Its interesting to hear about your relative who's a dietitian. When you become educated on a topic, if can cause you live your life differently. Similar to us when we watched Food Inc. and it made us think about what we're eating. I agree that this unit has been very informational, I can't see myself switching to a GMO-free diet, but its definitely something I am more aware about now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annalise, after studying this unit on food politics I do agree that I was very surprised to read about all the ways the animals are mistreated from their living conditions to the food they're fed. Furthermore I also agree that although I have seen the consequences that come with eating unhealthy, I also cannot guarantee that my eating habits will change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also clueless when I would see the "grass fed beef" in certain places, but like you said now We have a clear understanding as to what that means. I agree with you because this unit is an eye opener for everyone I assume. We aren't aware of the consequences that we can suffer if we aren't conscious of the things we put into our mouths. It will be hard, can you imagine going from eating processed foods regularly to GMO free foods to try and change our diets? That would be challenging because our bodies won't be used to it, but at least now we are more aware and can inform others about our new knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This lesson has taught me a lot of things, especially on how we feed corn to the cows, when they really should be eating grass. My Aunt is the same way, ALWAYS eating fresh healthy things, and having her own garden in the back yard. I wondered why they did that too, but I now understand that you can treat the vegetables and not have pesticides on them. The fresher your food is, the better it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete