Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Are food industries safe and reliable? Can they be trusted?

So ever since we started learning about food politics I find myself questioning the food I consume, I ask myself where it was made, what's in it, and whether or not it's good for me. For my research paper I will try to answer these questions and just try to figure out if food industries are actually safe and reliable. So far I have found out that many ingredients in our foods are actually banned in other countries because of health issues. This means some of the things we consume are bad for us and we don't even notice we are eating it because it is hidden in the complicated food labels. Food industries in all honesty are filled with many secrets. Most food industries favor more processing because it means more profits but typically it makes food less healthy. Food that is processed more is also less filling. For example an apple will fill you more than apple sauce because apples are filled with fibers and nutrients that are mostly lost when made into apple sauce. The food industries try to trick consumers into thinking their product is healthy by adding labels such as "zero trans fat" or "whole wheat" when in reality it is unhealthy. Although what the label claims may be true, the product can still be filled with tons of salt and sugar. They will do anything to convince people to eat what they produce. I do not think food industries are reliable. They don't have our best interests in mind, all they care about is how much money they can make by selling us what they produce, even if it is super unhealthy.

1 comment:

  1. Since we've been introduced to this unit, I've been thinking about where the food I consume is coming from, too. Its so alarming to hear that ingredients in our food have been banned in other countries. What a shame that our food industry is solely a money making industry and the producers of our food couldn't care less about its nutritional value and how it affects our bodies.

    ReplyDelete