Friday, March 4, 2016

The Bigger It Becomes, The More Complex It Becomes

Listening to Roger Doiron discuss the evolution of humans and our diets in his Ted Talk titled “My Subversive Garden Plot”, I began to think some more (more than I already have) about where we have come with food in our country now. By “where we have come”, I am referring to how much change has occurred. Doiron mentions how we have more food than ever before, but not as much confidence in the foods being served to us. How much did our grandparents and great-grandparents worry about the foods they were eating? Did they have confidence and trust in those who produced it?

Doiron also offers the idea that “gardens grow good food.” I believe this is a strong statement because not only are there good tasting foods that can be grown in our yards, but they are good for us. I plan to begin to garden throughout my experience with the research paper, and see how this affects my life.

FOOD for thought: What if we could come together, grow different varieties of foods, and have a buffet one day in fifth period? I wouldn’t mind giving it a thought, and I would love to see what everyone can put together. :)

2 comments:

  1. Okay so I was thinking about the whole more food thing too. It kind of scares me to think that even though certain foods are supposed to be "organic" aren't really organic because they're grown year round in an artificial farm. But because the market demands more they keep producing it which is the wrong approach.

    Also I vote yes to the buffet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. America's food supply has skyrocketed in the last century; we have more food than ever. However, its a shame that work hunger still persists; this is due to the uneven distribution of the food supply. Also, there is a distrust between food manufacturers and informed consumers. But why do people still choose to eat unhealthy? Gardening should be a trend in most American homes because it is more economical and healthy, and at the same time it gives you a sense of pride over the fruits of your labor. I strongly agree with your suggestion of having a buffet in class! It's the perfect period since it's before lunch, and I can't wait to see how we can put what we learn into practice.

    ReplyDelete