Tuesday, March 15, 2016

FRUITS?

I have recently been researching about fruits and why organic fruits were smaller in size and more savory. I've been reading many short articles about the subject and it's pretty obvious to say that chemicals have played a major part in that process. Reading many articles about my topic was or is tough because not only was I stumped on what exactly I was looking for but even more questions filled my brain. I've learned a lot about strawberries though, and how some farmers would inject their soil with chemicals so it could help the growing process. It would kill insects and any bacteria growing in the soil left behind from the season before. This would allow the farmers to continue to grow strawberries in the same spot where as organic farmers would have to leave and find new soil to grow their strawberries on every year or so. Now, this lead me to question a lot about how strawberries were processed and packaged and how they grew which lead me to rethink my research question and just do research more about strawberries. I've read another article, however, about how scientists discovered a way to make fruits bigger, but it made me think back to the article about the strawberries where they talked about bigger fruits being blander. That's when I really started to question whether having larger fruits in our local grocery stores, really worth it. Would you rather have a gigantic strawberry with little to no flavor, if not sour, or would you rather have a smaller strawberry with an abundance amount of flavor? That goes with any fruit out there in the world...

1 comment:

  1. I'd definitely rather have a nice juicy organic strawberry Lulu!!!! Lately organic foods and fruit have been on my mind a lot. Whenever I go into the store now i'm always looking for the organic foods. Most people don't realize what real fruit looks like and how it tastes because these food producers are modifying our food in a horrible way.

    ReplyDelete