Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Fixing a broken world

This is a tad off topic, but I wanted to talk about choosing what you want to do in life. We're at a point in our  lives where are decisions of what we want to do aren't just dreams. We're making choices that effect the rest of our lives, we aren't just being asked what we want to do like we were when we were seven.

I've wanted to be a mechanical engineer for some time now. I've always liked tinkering and taking things apart, making things, it's a profession suited for me. There's plenty of work involved in getting there, it won't be easy, but I believe I'd enjoy it and the work that comes along with it. This recent unit has caused a slight change of heart. I'm heavily considering becoming an environmental engineer, people who worked toward creating environmentally friendly machines and environmental monitors. The Politics of Food has made me realize how awful and screwed our world really is. People are corrupt and greedy and place the value of personal gain over the well being of others. We pollute and desecrate our planet and then deny that it has any effect. The world has too many problems to begin to list, but I want to be a part of the solution.

Environmental engineering would allow me to help slow, stop, or even reverse the harm we're doing to our planet. It's an incredibly important problem and, as a planet, start working towards fixing it. I want to be part of this, to make my mark on the world, however small, in a way that I can be proud of, in a way that matters and helps the world.

There's nothing wrong with deciding on what you want to do because you like it, or because the money is good, nothing wrong at all. But consider the problems the world is facing when making that decision. There's so few people trying to help the world and so many that couldn't care less. Be something important, make a lasting and beneficial mark on the world, be a part of the solution.

3 comments:

  1. Don't let your dreams be dreams. Just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler you will go on and do great things if you set your mind to it. An environmental engineer sounds like an honorable thing from your brief description and I encourage you to go for it but always have a back up in mind cause life is tricky that way.

    ReplyDelete