Saturday, March 5, 2016

What are we really eating?

What are we really eating? These past few day I have been really thinking of what is going into my body. Everytime I want to eat something, say a hamburger, I'll start thinking how the cow was treated or even how the tomatoes were grown. Now like most people, I think this as I'm eating the hamburger. We have all these thoughts but we never do anything about it. I read an article called What are we really eating by Brenda Cobb and it really made me think about my food. If you really think about it, many hands touch your food before you do. From the Processing plant to the grocery store to the checkout clerk and not to mention the people in between that. Brenda Cobb talks about not only the chemicals and other things put in our food but the energy that's in our food. She explains that if you buy cookies and the guy that packaged them hated his job, then you are now eating that negative energy. Cobb also talked about the chemicals in our food. Chemical fertilizers have greatly impacted our greens. Making fruits like oranges bigger and bigger. But how much chemicals do we actually put in our body? Like Cobb said might as well drink it. What happened to eating raw food? You don't really see kids carrying bags of cucumbers or celary or broccoli. Instead they replace it with bags of hot (delicious) Cheetos. Let's not even mention what schools are serving. Like most kids my age, I waste a lot of money on food. But not the healthy kind. But what I've noticed is that everytime I eat fast food, I get really sleepy and just want to lay down at home and watch tv. Whereas when I eat fruits and drink water, I am wide awake and not to mention with a lot of energy. But now that I've read Cobbs article, even fruit is contaminated with harmful chemicals. Unless it's completely organic. But others think that even organic food isn't good for us or the environment. Like  Norman Borlaug, he thinks "the idea that organic farming is better for the environment is “ridiculous” because organic farming produces lower yields and therefore requires more land under cultivation to produce the same amount of food". As I keep reading and learning more of what I consume, I notice that each question I have just leads to another question. Like how the animals we eat are treated to the energy in our food to chemicals in our food to organic food actually hurting our environment is just a big and confusing mess. I have yet to take responsibility of what I consume and do something good for my health.  

No comments:

Post a Comment