Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Future Modifications

So, I'm actually writing my research paper about what I did my last blog post on, which is whether or not there will be enough food for us in our future. The population is growing at a very fast pace and by 2050 there will be a predicted 9 billion people on earth. With the population increasing, it will be difficult to keep up with the food supply and raising animals for us to eat. Through doing some research what I have found interesting is that there is a company called Modern Meadow that uses 3-D printers and tissue engineering to grow meat in a lab. I can't help but think that this may be the way of the future. Along with 3-D printing there are meat substitutes, as there have been for a while, such as burgers made with soy. Some individuals claim it tastes the same as a "real" hamburger but I think I can speak on behalf of several others that it's simple to tell the difference in taste between a hamburger coming from a cow and a hamburger derived from soy. Some other points brought up in my research have been that developing countries, such as Nigeria, have larger family sizes but less access to food while developed countries, such as the United States, have smaller family sizes but higher access to food. This was thought provoking for me because I have come to think of it in a way as a supply and demand system. If there are more people in a family then the demand for food is high but developing countries have less money in general so how can they possibly afford food? Perhaps the solution is to only have as many children as you can afford. In general, a lot of food goes to waste, especially in the United States. It seems we have an infinite amount of food but in reality food production is hard to maintain with all of our greedy desires. I think it's important to prepare for the future and learn to accept that someday we may be forced to change our eating habits. Finding protein won't be difficult, we can simply get it from the same place the cow got it.

1 comment:

  1. Your post was very interesting! I didn't know it was possible to "grow" your own food in a lab. It's crazy how much technology has affected our food and how it is made. I agree that the US wastes tons of food. I work at knotts and at the end of the day we throw away enough food to feed a couple thousand people. We even throw away things that are still fresh and in bags like cotton candy. I think we should find a way to get all the food that goes to waste and feed it to the families in need.

    ReplyDelete